Day 3 of 31-day bc: What’s in a Name? Or a Word?

Well, I’m not sure how to make a whole blog entry over my name. Deborah. Means bee. As in black and yellow flying insect that likes flowers and produces honey. Not bee as in the abbreviated “she’s a b—!” 😂

Although I’m fairly certain a few people said that today during my closings at work.... 😳

Does it suit me? I suppose if you consider that a bee appears to be easily distracted, then per-haaaps. My parents named me for Deborah from the Old Testament. She was a prophetess who helped defend her nation/tribe? Then she wrote a song about it. It’s in Judges. You would think in my seminary  days (bible class before school) I would have taken note, but alas. I did not. 

However, I have to admit, I find every other word and name in the english language more fascinating than my own. I. LOVE. ETYMOLOGY. I told husband #2 once that if he wanted to impress me, he’d buy me the $1,000 Oxford English Dictionary instead of a stupid diamond ring (in hindsight, him getting me the ring instead of the dictionary should probably have been the biggest signal that it wasn’t going to work).

I didn’t even realize I loved etymology until I took History of the English Language in university. Best. Class. Ever. 

Oh wait!!! I DO have a business name!! ddlipsnstuff. “DD” for my initials AND for DD lips aka plump and lovely lips. Produced by lovely lipstick that doesn’t come off!!

Anyways, that’s all I got. 

Tomorrow:  Earliest childhood memory!!

Comments